Back to the court itself, which is the place Dr Johnson came in 1776 and stayed until his demise seven years after the fact. In spite of the fact that nowadays related more with Gough Square (q.v.) where a prior place of his is currently a gallery, Johnson moved into No. 8, a genuinely little house which he loaded with books and 'entire homes of individuals' who had come to rely on upon him for philanthropy. It was here that Boswell, having initially met him in a bookshop, experienced Johnson for the last time. The last ventured down from a carriage at the passageway on Fleet Street and made with what Boswell called 'a sort of unfortunate liveliness' for his home down the dull back road subsequent to eating with the painter Reynolds. That was on 30 June 1784, Johnson kicking the bucket the next December while Boswell was away in Scotland. The house itself torched in 1819.
Initially Bond's Court, after William Bond who was Alderman for the Walbrook Ward in 1649, in spite of the fact that as late as 1792 Kelly's Directory still recorded another William Bond, trader, working from No. 4. Indeed the Bond relationship with the ward appears to have been much more persisting than this, going back to yet another William Bond, who was Sheriff of London in 1567, and to Alderman George Bond. From 1566 the last lived in the radiant Tudor Crosby Hall, the colossal Bishopsgate chateau – see Great St Helen's, here – which was expelled step by determined step to Chelsea Embankment before the First World War however has all the more as of late been reawakened as London's biggest private house.